After matriculating at Grey High School, Michael graduated from the University of PE (as it then was) in 1984, having completed his articles while studying, and was admitted as an Attorney in the same year.
From 1986 to 1990 he worked at a firm in PE where he became a Director. In 1990 he founded the firm which became known as White & Williams Inc and subsequently rebranded to Lexicon, where he has practised since.
He holds a Certificate in Electronic Law from UCT, and completed the Advanced Business Rescue course offered by UNISA.
Michael has held various positions during his career including:
- The President of the South Eastern Cape Attorneys Association;
- The Chairman of Conveyancing and Property Committee of the Attorneys Assoc;
- A member of the Cape Law Society Committee which negotiated and drafted the Professional Conduct Rules of Attorneys;
- A member of the Cape Law Society Committee which negotiated its restructuring in the post-apartheid era;
- A member of the negotiating committee regarding the positioning of land registry offices post 1994;
- A member of the Property Law Group, tasked with making proposals to the then Minister of Land Affairs, regarding the land registry system in the post-apartheid South Africa.
- Michael was also a part time lecturer at the Practical Legal Training School.
Apart from practising law, Michael is also a director and shareholder in Bellbuoy property management company, trustee member of Ordel Brokers, and owner of Highlands Road Estate, a wine farm in Elgin.
He is the owner, co-owner and developer of various commercial, agricultural and residential properties in PE, Eastern and Western Cape, having also been the initiator of many a development project.
Michael specialises in Commercial and Property Law. He has extensive experience in the project management of property developments from the initial stage of dealing with an undeveloped piece of land through to the registration of title, and thereafter.
Michael also has an extensive and lengthy history of involvement in corporate structuring including BEE deals, acquisitions and mergers.
He has on many occasions acted as a broker in business sales, acquisitions and mergers.